Friday 8 January 2016

A New Year & No More Secrets



We are already heading at full force into January and I've written and deleted this post what feels like a thousand times now. Its almost like writing it down means that it happened and it wasn't just a blurry nightmare.  My blog is somewhere I not only give you guys my opinion on certain products, present ideas and updates on Harry's hearing, I also use it as a sort of online diary so to keep secrets from my readers feels like telling a lie. 

Let me start again. Firstly Happy New Year to you (when is the official cut off to stop saying that??!)  I hope your Christmas breaks were spent with your loved ones wherever you may be!
I for one have waved goodbye to the weirdest year of my life, it started off full of fear and anxiety when we put our baby through 6 hours of surgery for his cochlear implants. Then a month later our hearts were bursting with joy when they were switched on and we were high on that insane bubble right through the summer.  But right at the end of the summer, back in August, I received a devastating phone call.  My boyfriend Scott had been rushed to hospital following a seizure and no one could tell me if he was OK.   I managed to get to him within a couple of hours (he was taken to a hospital in another county) and the doctors were sure it was an isolated incident, something that shouldn't reoccur and we shouldn't worry.  Of course we worried but we trusted in their words that nothing seemed to be wrong with Scott and people have seizures sometimes for no reason at all.

Unfortunately they were very wrong as exactly a month later Scott had a second seizure in bed next to me and was taken to hospital yet again.  Obviously this time it was taken a little more seriously and we booked to see a neurologist ASAP to find out what was going on.  That was when we found out the terrifying news that Scott had a brain tumour that needed to be operated on immediately.  The words brain and tumour together are probably some of the worst you can hear and of course every single thought and emotion went through our bodies and we cried for what feels like an eternity

Just 5 emotional days later we travelled down to the Spire hospital in Southampton for him to have his surgery and I'm so happy to say that the operation was a complete success and he was home with Harry and I just 2 days later.  I will never ever forget those tense hours at the hospital pacing the room, waiting for him to be brought back to me safe and well.  When he was finally brought back up to the ward he managed to give me a little thumbs up and a half smile and that’s when I let out that breath I had been holding for god knows how long.

Although the operation was successful our journey didn't quite end there and after a couple of months of healing Scott had to undergo almost 7 weeks of radiotherapy to kill the cells around the area and help prevent the tumour from attempting to grow back.  Travelling down to Southampton every day for him over Christmas was very tiring and time consuming, but he got on with it and did what he had to do.  Despite losing half a head of hair hes managed to stay so positive which I truly believe has helped his body recover from everything that its been through


 Even though he will be monitored regularly and closely, it finally feels like its all over and we can go back to being a happy and normal family of three.  I'm so immensely proud of Scott, its so true that you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice that you have.  If this whole thing has taught me anything it is to love so much harder, to not take life for granted and to enjoy the little things.
I am so excited for the year ahead of us!!  GOODBYE 2015!

Did you face any challenges in 2015?


SHARE:

52 comments

  1. You are so brave, what a year you've had. I said it to you a few days ago but this really has got to be your year xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I feel kind of brave :) 2016 is the one for us i'm sure!!!! x

      Delete
  2. Wow, I am so sorry you have had to go through all of that. Praying and believing that this is the end and the start of the best year!l for your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be sorry but thank you! Happy 2016 to you! xx

      Delete
  3. What a year Lucie, you are so strong. Sending my best wishes for 2016 for you and your boys! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Lucie, that was emotional to read. I have been seeing your Instagram posts and knew something was up. Well done on being so brave, something like that effects everyone close to the person. I hope 2016 brings you and your family some good memories! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thats why I felt like I needed to share this post as I had been a little cryptic! Thank you so much for the lovely message, I hope 2016 is awesome for you too! x

      Delete
  5. Im so sorry to hear that you's have been through this year. My mum had a brain tumour about 18 years ago, went through awful surgery and due to the placement of the tumour they could never remove the entire thing, so around 6 years ago it grew back but with the help of radiotherapy (she was practically a guniea pig at the time cause it wasnt a procedure they often used) the tumour has never gotten any bigger and this year she found it it is starting to shrink which is amazing! Its so encouraging to hear about how the medical world is advancing and what a quick recovery he had! I hope you and your lovely family have a better 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear that they couldn't remove all of your mum's tumour but so happy to hear that she is doing well and now starting to shrink!! Wishing you and your mum a glorious 2016 x

      Delete
  6. 2015 was amazing for me, but the first week of January 2014 I had to sit through a retrial in court... So the first week of the new year is extremely hard for me when I should be celebrating and looking forward to a "clean slate". This blog post has inspired me to write my own entry on my blog about everything, something I have never openly talked about. Thank you, and I hope 2016 brings you all the joy and love and then some xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO happy to hear that i've inspired you to write your own post!! Its like a little release isn't it :) I hope 2016 is a better one for you!! x

      Delete
  7. Said it on twitter, but will say it again!
    You seem such a lovely family and your positivity during shitty times is truly inspiring. I hope 2016 will be a year filled with happy memories! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh well thank you for saying it twice :) I hope your year is just as good too!!!! x

      Delete
  8. Wow, well done to all of you for braving your way through 2015. I really hope 2016 brings lots of lovely things your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was touch and go but we got there in the end!! I hope 2016 is good to you too! x

      Delete
  9. Lucie you are all so strong! Keep positive ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're incredibly brave. I hope 2016 is an amazing year for you and your family xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. How scary! So glad the operation was a success though and he is recovering! Hope 2016 is much better for you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kerry! I already know 2016 is going to be awesome for you! x

      Delete
  12. Sending well wishes to your family! X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lucy what a year, so sorry to hear that. After the great news of little Harry to then be hit with that, just shows how strong you all are to get through it. So glad to hear that Scott has recovered from it, and here's to an amazing 2016 for you all. You deserve it <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a year hey!! Thanks you for the comment and support :) I hope your 2016 is just as amazing!! x

      Delete
  14. Thank you for being so strong to share something like this. Stay strong and 2016 should turn around for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This is my first time stumbling over to your blog and I have tears rolling down my face! You are such an inspiration! I cannot wait to read more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a year for you all to go through! I am so sorry, you are all so strong for going through all of that! You just never know what life will throw at you. Hoping you all stay healthy this year, and it's happier for you all!

    Anna - Annas Reflection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really don't know what life will throw at you, my family is deaf proof of that!! Happy new year :) x

      Delete
  17. What a horrible year. I am sure all this has made you stronger as a family and I can imagine it's taken it's toll on you being strong for your boys. Love to you all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've had quite the year! Cochlear implants are the most brilliant thing in the whole world, our friends daughter is the same age as Harry and had hers done in May 2015, she now takes them off when you talk to her (such a cheeky little thing) and can put them on again if they fall off. She continues to surprise everyone with the things she does and being deaf doesn't seem to have held her back in any way. Hope your 2016 is a lot less stressful and everyone is healthy and happy this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats amazing to hear she is doing so well!!! Cochlear Implants are the best thing that could have ever happened to us!! I hope your 2016 is awesome too!! x

      Delete
  19. Oh Lucie, you poor things. What a year you have had. Well done to all of you for coming out of it so positively, I have no doubt it will make you stronger as a result. Sending you all my love and I really hope 2016 is your year of even more happiness. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its been quite a year I must say but yes we are so much stronger!!! Thank you and I already know 2016 is going to be bloody brilliant for you!! x

      Delete
  20. Oh my gosh. You are so strong. I don't know how you've coped. I know I couldnt!! Xx

    sophies-edit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. So much respect for you both. Here's to a better new year, much love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh that must have been so scary! What a strong little family unit you are ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  23. That must have been so scary and unimaginably difficult for you and your family to go through, Lucy. Sending you, Scott and Harry all the best and praying you have the most amazing year in 2016, full of happy moments!

    You're very brave. Stay positive! :)

    Ysis x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was terrifying Ysis, It feels almost like it happened to someone else!! Thank you for your lovely message, wishing you an amazing 2016 too!!! x

      Delete
  24. Oh Lucie that must have been so hard for your family. You are so strong and positive, and I hope that 2016 is all that you hope it to be xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. This made me cry in the hairdressers! thank you for sharing with us, I wish you all the health and happiness for 2016! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!! I hope your hairdresser didn't look at you too funny!! Thank you for your support :) x

      Delete
    2. Oh no!! I hope your hairdresser didn't look at you too funny!! Thank you for your support :) x

      Delete
  26. Goodness me! What a year! Wishing you and your family all the best for 2016 x

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow! Found your blog through Hannah Maggs' Twitter and I'm out of words. How are you able to ask your readers if they faced any challenges if you went through so much heavy challenges yourself. What a strong family you are! I broke up with my boyfriend after a relationship of six year with ups and downs. I've been chronically sick but that seems nothing compared to what you've been trough. It eventually was one of the dealbreakers in my relationship. It was hard to go trough with having to move, juggling studie and work but I'm getting there. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Keep positive. Love from the Netherlands, Meike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bless you what a lovely lovely message! I'm really glad to hear you are coming out the other side of an awful time as well.. stay positive and be strong!! Live everyday :) xx

      Delete
  28. Hi Lucie, so glad that Scott has recovered quickly and sounds like you have all been extremely strong. It was very brave to write this, I wrote a post on my 2015 too as I lost my mum last year. Life can be so cruel and tough but I really hope your 2016 is so much better and filled with happiness xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you Jessica!! Well done to you as well for writing your post.. which sounds so much harder than mine. Life can be horrendous and i'm sorry for your loss! Happy 2016 to you! xx

      Delete
  29. Lucie, Always love reading your posts. Knowing how outgoing and bubbly you and Scott both are, I was genuinely moved when I heard, firstly about Harry and then about Scott. You've both been so so strong and you will come out of it even stronger. Great memories of silly drunken nights together - so keep strong and hope to catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Carl, so nice to hear from you!! Hope to see you soon.. thank you for the lovely words :) xx

      Delete
  30. Hi Lucie,

    Reading your post made me cry but the main thing is that you've managed to pull through that difficult part and look where you are now. The year 2015 was an OK year for me but 2014 was the worst year of my life. I love your blog and your little boy is beautiful. Xx

    ReplyDelete

© Lucie & The Bump. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig